Western Australia,

  • Enrol online now

    1. How much are the courses?

    The standard rate for the online courses is $435 (Public), the Member rate is $395 (Member).  In person courses which are run by an experienced trainer are $495 (Public) and $475 (Member) including GST.

    2. How can I receive member dicounts on licensing course fees?

    Yes MTA WA members and their employees do receive discounts for licensing courses. To access the member rates you must log on to the website at www.mtawa.com.au and access the member's only section of the website.

    3. Who should do the Sales Person Course?

    This course is for individuals who intend to buy or sell motor vehicles on behalf of a licensed dealer. If you are not currently employed as a sales person you can still attend this course to assist in job applications.

    4. Do I need to be working in the industry before I apply for the Salesperson Licensing Course?

    No, many people complete the course to improve their employability in the industry. You must however have an employer to be granted a licence from the Department of Mines, Industry regulation and Safety.

    5. Who should do the Yard Manager and Dealer Licencing Course?

    The Motor Vehicle Dealers Act (MVDA) requires a person/s or company engaged in the business of buying or selling certain vehicles to hold a Dealer's licence. A Yard Manager is an individual employed or engaged by a Dealer to manage or supervise the Dealer's business of buying and/or selling vehicles. Therefore, Motor Vehicle Dealers and their Yard Managers must be licensed to operate in WA.

    This legal requirement also includes anyone:

    • who acts as an agent for others in buying or selling vehicles;
    • whose business includes buying vehicles for wrecking;
    • who finances the buying of vehicles;
    • who engages in the business of auctioning vehicles;
    • who is a hire car operator; and
    • who operates a car market.

    Applicants, or in the case of a company or partnership, the qualifying director/s or partner/s, must comply with and have sufficient knowledge of the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act 1973. Dealers also have to comply with various other regulations and legislation. Motor Vehicle Dealers (Licensing) Regulations 1974, Motor Vehicle Dealers (Sales) Regulations 1974, Motor Vehicle Dealers (Infringements) Regulations 2002, Motor Vehicle Dealers (Prescribed Vehicles) Regulations 1974, and Car Market Regulations 1981.

    6. Do I need to do any study/preparation before do course?

    Not for the Salesperson Licensing Course. For the Yard Manager/Dealer course you should have already completed the Salesperson Licensing Course.

    7. I’ve passed the course how to I get my licence?

    Upon successful completion of either the Sales Person or Yard Manager/Dealer Course you must submit a licence application to the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety. You can contact the Department by phone on 1300 304 064 or visit the website www.commerce.wa.gov.au/consumer-protection and follow the links.

    8. Is the cost of a Sales Person or Dealer Licence included in the course fee?

    No, the licensing fees are not included in course fees. Licence fees are paid separately to the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety upon application for a licence.

    Online Course

    1. How long should it take me to complete the course online?

    It is recommended that you should allocate approximately 20 hours total study time for completion of the course manual.

    Once you commence the exam you will strictly have the following times to complete the exam questions, we suggest you should undertake this part of the course in a place where interruptions may be avoided. Should you not complete the questions within the time allowed the exam result will be submitted automatically and your result will be calculated against those answered questions.

    Salesperson exam: 2 Hours

    Yard Manager/Dealer Exam: 2.5 Hours

    2. What if I’m unable to complete the course within 30 days?

    We strongly encourage you to complete the course within 30 days. This is ample time to study and complete the exam. If you do not complete the course within the allocated time you will be automatically un-enrolled and unable to continue your course of study.

    In Person Course

    1. What should I wear to attend the course?

    This is a professional business course so you should dress accordingly in a professional manner. This mean business casual. No thongs, no shorts, no jeans, no hoodies, no track suits.

    2. When is the last day for enrolment on the course?

    Both registration details and payment must be cleared by 48 hours prior to the course date.

    3. English is not my first language and I sometimes have difficulty with writing and comprehension, how will that affect my exam?

    The examination is open book and multiple choice. Our trainer is present during the exam and happy to explain the meaning of the questions if your understanding is not clear.

    4. Is there parking easily available at the course location?

    Yes we have ample free parking on-site.

    5. What if I don’t pass on my first attempt?

    We do have a high level of examination success, if however you do not pass on the first occasion you can re-sit the examination only. This includes one-on-one time with a trainer to review your knowledge discuss any areas of concern.

    6. What if I’m unable to attend the course date I’ve booked or need to cancel?

    If you are unable to attend the course dates that you have booked, you should advise us as soon as possible. To receive a full refund you must provide us with at least 7 working days notice. To transfer a course date we require written notice at least 7 days before the course date, otherwise a $50 fee applies.

    Refunds upon cancellation of a booking will be provided according to the below:

    • 7 working days or more – 100% refund
    • 7-4 workings days - 50% refund
    • Less than 4 working days – no refund.
  • Starting a new business is an exciting time. It’s a big leap to go from working for an employer to owning your own business. There’s lots of possibility, but there’s also a lot of additional responsibility and risk.

    As a business owner you won’t just be doing repair work; you’re running a business, which means you need to know about marketing, finance, legal issues, business licences and employing people.

    This information has been compiled by the Motor Trade Association of WA (MTA WA) to assist people in starting an automotive mechanical repair workshop. The information is general in nature and you should seek advice for your specific circumstances.

    You can download the information sheet HERE or read the information below.

    Download button sml

    Plan, Plan, Plan

    Before you make the leap into a new business, do your research, make a plan and make sure it’s viable. Consider:

    • Market research; make sure you’re going to have enough customers and demand for your product and services.
    • Do a business plan; you’ll need it to apply for finance and it will help you clarify your business ideas.
    • Buying a business? Do your due diligence and ensure you know what you’re buying. Make sure there are no hidden catches.

    Business structure

    Once you’ve decided that you’ve got a viable business idea you’ll need to decide what business structure is right for you. The most common structures are:

    • Sole Trader
    • Partnership
    • Company
    • Trust

    In the automotive industry it’s very common for business partnership’s to be done on a ‘handshake’. MTA WA recommends that any business agreement is made in writing through a formal contract.
    This will protect all parties in the agreement and clearly outline all of the responsibilities, obligations and entitlements of everyone involved.

    Commercial Premises

    There are three (3) options for commercial premises; operate from home, buy premises or lease. Most automotive repair shop lease commercial premises.

    Rent payments are a major contributor to business costs so ensure that you’ve got a lease agreement that works for you. There can be catches for the unwary and inexperienced; always get professional advice before signing a commercial lease.

    When considering any property for your business whether it’s your home or commercial premises, it’s your responsibility to ensure that it meets all regulatory requirements and recieves council approval.

    Business Finance

    There are many ways that you may choose to finance your business venture; all fall into two categories debt finance (money borrowed from external lenders like a bank) and equity finance (investing your own money or other stakeholders).

    Examine all of your finance options and choose the mix that works for you. Talk to your accountant or financial advisor on the best solution for your business.

    The Commonwealth Bank provides excellent deals for MTA WA members. Contact the Association to find out more about Commonwealth Bank offerings.

    Business Licences

    The licences that you require for your business vary depending on the type of work you intend to do and the local council that you operate in.

    It is your responsibility as a business owner to educate yourself as to the licences that you require. Conduct a licence search through the Small Business Development Corporation at www.smallbusiness.wa.gov.au

    Licences you require may include, but are not exclusive to:

    • Motor Repair Business Licence
    • Light vehicle modification approval
    • Refrigerant Trading Authority
    • Motor Vehicle Repairer’s Certificate
    • Approval to discharge trade waste
    • Approval to erect a commercial advertising sign on a road or highway
    • Building Approval Certificate or Building Permit
    • Home Occupation Approval
    • Occupancy Permit

    Be aware that fees may apply to acquire some licences.

    Talk to the regulating body about requirements and fees for specific licences

    Motor Repair Business Licence

    All motor repair businesses must have this licence. The category and cost of the licence will vary depending on your circumstances.

    To secure this licence you must meet all requirements including employing qualified and certified technicians to carry out repair work.

    The MTA WA does provide prospective members with assistance in applying for this licence.

    Industry Regulation

    The automotive industry is highly regulated from both an environmental and health and safety perspective. Ensure that you are aware of your obligations and responsibilities, as audits are regularly held by regulating bodies including WorkSafe, Environmental Protection and local councils.

    MTA WA provides assistance in meeting your regulatory responsibility through the Green Stamp Program and Occupational Health and Safety advisory service.

    Australian Business Number

    Businesses must have an ABN when dealing with other businesses and the government.

    While it is not mandatory, businesses dealing with you are legally required to withhold tax (at a rate of 49 per cent) from any payments they make to your business if you do not quote an ABN on your invoice.

    You can operate multiple businesses under one ABN (i.e. a sole trader can run a mechanical repair workshop and a body repair shop with just the one ABN).

    You can obtain an ABN online for free from the Australian Business Register at www.abr.gov.au

    Register Your Business Name

    Choose a business name that reflects major elements of the identity and image of your business. It should also allow you to take advantage of changes in market trends.

    If you decide to use your personal name eg: John Smith, there is no need to register it. However if you say “John Smith & Co.” you will need to register, as “& Co.” is a part of your name.

    To register your business name go to the Australian Securities and Investment Commission website at: www.asic.gov.au


    You will need to visit the Australian Tax Office website at www.ato.gov.au to register for the following.

    • Tax File Number
    • Goods and Services Tax (check the threshold)
    • Pay As You Go (PAYG)

    Purchase Insurance

    In Western Australia the only compulsory insurance for small businesses is worker’s compensation. It is up to you, based on your business needs, as to the other types of insurance you may require.

    There are various types of insurance to protect your business which can be divided into three main categories:

    • Liability
    • Employees
    • Assets and revenue

    MTA WA's partner OurAutooffer excellent deals on a wide range of insurance products developed specifically for the automotive industry.

    Employing People

    There are many things to consider when deciding to employ staff; they can make a big impact both positive and negative on your business.

    As an employer there are also legal requirements that you must comply with. You will need to determine the industrial relations system that covers your business - State or Federal.

    Talk to the MTA WA Industrial Relations team for expert advice and assistance on employing within the automotive industry.

    Get a Support Team

    For many skilled tradespeople, starting their own business is a big leap and they quickly need to learn a variety of business skills. Understanding a Balance Sheet and determining labour rates isn’t commonly covered in a technical apprenticeship!

    It can be overwhelming for a new business starter which is why it’s a good idea to surround yourself with trusted advisors who are experts in business. Your support team could include a lawyer, accountant, business coach, marketer and the Motor Trade Association of WA.

    Join the Motor Trade Association of WA

    For many automotive business owners the MTA WA provides an extensive support network of industry and business experts.

    Established in 1934, the Motor Trade Association of Western Australia has spent decades advocating for the motor industry and assisting members in running and growing their business. There’s nothing that we don’t know about the automotive industry in WA.  Call us today on 9233 9800 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


MTAWA is proudly supported by